Old Music Tuesdays: Showbread “Dead By Dawn”
For the month of October, my ongoing Old Music Tuesday series features songs that have something to do with horror movies, monsters, and/or Halloween. The qualifications are pretty flexible. If the song is about a famous monster, something scary, something evil, or about Halloween, it’s fair game. Last week, I shared a song about being a vampire. This week, I’m sharing a song by Georgia’s Showbread called Dead By Dawn.
Yes, you guessed it! The song’s lyrics are based on Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead trilogy. Showbread is a post-hardcore band from Georgia who is calling it quits this year. (I should probably do a proper Old Music Tuesday biography on them soon.) The band formed in 1999, hit it “big” in 2004 (in the indie Christian rock scene, so they were still struggling artists), and released eight albums. Four of them are excellent; the other four are fair but not fantastic.
Dead By Dawn is track #2 off of their Solid State Records 2004 debut album, “No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical.” That’s one of the “excellent” albums; get it by clicking my Amazon link.) This album has a lot of horror imagery on it, including references to George Romero (Night of the Living Dead) and Tobe Hooper (Texas Chainsaw Massacre). Check it out if you’re into post-hardcore or horror music.
Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead Trilogy is regarded as one of the best, if not THE best horror movie series in history. It expertly blends horror and comedy and has had many imitators. There was an Evil Dead remake a couple years ago that was better than it had any right to be, and Bruce Campbell is coming back for a TV show based on the Evil Dead this month. (Check your listings.) I’ve included a link to Evil Dead 2, the best in the series. (You can watch them in any order, really.) I’ve also included a link to a Bruce Campbell caricature that I drew last year. You can buy it on a phone case, pillow case, tote bag, t-shirt, print, and much more in my store. Please support this blog!
The video is a fan-made video that cuts scenes from the movies together over Showbread’s song. It’s totally unauthorized, but the band loved it. (No word from Mr. Raimi.) I hope you enjoy it as well!
Tonight’s twilight will be the last seen by our eyes,
So if it seems so beautiful, kiss the beauty goodbye,
Oh my little cornea, please say that you are no more,
And ears please swear you did not hear this creaking in the cabin floor,
I’ll forgive my eyes for lovely lies, so certainly within my will,
Please declare this piercing stare,
So false, at a clock that’s standing still.
Such pretty skin, give it to us,
The sun won’t wise my spirit dies,
All hope has withdrawn,
So here I lay because either way,
I know we’ll all be dead by dawn,
Dead by dawn.
Arming shotgun shells this rotting smell lingers on words that were said,
Her body in pieces, my hand cut away,
the ever-enchanting book of the dead,
The sun won’t rise, my spirit dies, All hope has withdrawn,
So here I lay because either way I know we’ll all be dead by dawn.
A chainsaw can remove a limb or act as a replacement,
Smell the gas as hours pass, contrary to my statement,
The corpses wish to cover me with kisses,
So just maybe I’ll cover this cabin with their blood,
Hail to the king baby.
Please share this post if you like the song or if you care to support this site.
More Music on This Site
Top Albums of the Year
Old Music Tuesdays
Click here for my past Old Music Tuesdays posts. There are too many to list!
- Tomahawk (feat. Retox)
- Coheed and Cambria (feat. BTBAM & Russian Circles)
- Black Sabbath (feat. Andrew WK)
- Vampire Weekend (feat. Beirut)
- Fit for a King & For Today
- ††† (Crosses) (feat. Omniflux & Spirit in the Room)
- Soundgarden & NIN 2014
- Dr. Octagon (feat. Avalon, Gap Dream & No Parents)
- Faith No More (feat. The Urinals)
- Mastodon & Clutch (feat. Graveyard)
- Coheed and Cambria (feat. Seahaven)
- The Appleseed Cast (feat. Adjy & Coaster)
- The Smashing Pumpkins & Marilyn Manson
- Danzig (feat. Cancer Bats & Saviours)
- Imagine Dragons (feat. Halsey & Metric)
- Between the Buried and Me & Animals As Leaders (feat. The Contortionist)
- Deftones & Incubus (feat. Death from Above 1979)
- 2015 Summer Rankings
- Blindside (feat. Hearts Like Lions)
- Puscifer (feat. Luchafer)
- The Black Queen (feat. Drab Majesty)
- Joe Satriani
- Coheed and Cambria (feat. Glassjaw, I the Mighty, Silver Snakes)
- Killswitch Engage (feat. Memphis May Fire, 36 Crazyfists, and Toothgrinder)
- Andrew Bird (feat. John Grant)
- Lamb of God (feat. Clutch and Corrosion of Conformity)
- At the Drive-In (feat. Le Butcherettes)
- The Dillinger Escape Plan (feat. Author & Punisher)
- Guns N’ Roses (feat. The Cult)
- Animal Collective (feat. Stuart Copeland)
- Alice in Chains (feat. The New Regime)
- Temple of the Dog (feat. Fantastic Negrito)
Giraffe Tongue Orchestra (cancelled)
- 2016 Concert Rankings
- August Burns Red (feat. Protest the Hero, In Hearts Wake, ’68)
- Norma Jean (feat. He Is Legend, Capsize, Comrades)
- Red (feat. Wolves at the Gate, Message from Sylvia, Death Therapy) (coming soon)
- Mastodon (feat. Eagles of Death Metal, Russian Circles) (coming soon)
- Pixies (coming soon)
- Tool (feat. Clutch, Fantomas, Primus, Melvins, Crystal Method) (coming soon)
- Rise Against (feat. Deftones, Thrice) (coming soon)
- Dead Cross (feat. Neil Hamburger, Ho99o9) (coming soon)
- Banks (coming soon)
- Between the Buried and Me (feat. The Contortionist, Poluphia, Toothgrinder) (coming soon)
- The Offspring (feat. Well Hung Heart) (coming soon)
- Russian Circles (feat. MGR) (coming soon)
- Our Lady Peace (feat. Smashing Hearts) (coming soon)
- Animals As Leaders (feat. Periphery and Astronoid) (coming soon)
Mike Patton stuff on this website
- Mike Patton’s Guest Spots
- Faith No More concert review
- Old Music Tuesdays: Faith No More
- Faith No More Stripsearch
- Old Music Tuesdays: Mr. Bungle
- Tomahawk concert review
- Tomahawk Red Fox
Chino Moreno stuff on this website
- Chino’s Harder Guest Spots
- Chino’s Softer Guest Spots
- Chino’s Mainstream Work
- Palms concert
- (†††) Crosses concert
- Old Music Tuesday: (†††) Crosses
- Deftones & Incubus (feat. Death from Above 1979)
Please Support this Blog
Thank you for your time and attention, and thanks for reading! If you’d like to help keep this blog going, please support it! You can help in a couple ways:
First, buy something from my shop! I’ve got mugs, tapestries, canvas, tee shirts, phone cases, pillows, blankets, and much more.
Second, hire me directly! I’m a professional caricaturist/illustrator. I’m currently offering pet illustrations, personalized caricatures of you or a loved one, and celebrity caricatures. Click the links for details and pricing, or just send me a message by using the form below. Basic illustrations start at just $15!
Become a Guest Blogger
This article was written by a guest blogger. Do you have something you’d like to share with my readers? Contact me to become a guest blogger.