Old Music Tuesdays: Top Fifteen Albums of 2012
Last week’s post was pretty popular, so I decided to follow it up with my top fifteen albums of 2012. This year was a little bit harder to pick my top fifteen, but not because of a lack of good music. I guess the extra year to listen and refine my taste has given me a new perspective. Again, in no particular order, I present my top fifteen albums of 2012. One exception: Koi No Yokan is first as it is my favorite album of 2012. Click on the album cover to buy it or hear samples.
- deftones Koi No Yokan: My favorite album of 2012, hands down, and the ‘tones best since White Pony.
- Animal Collective Centipede Hz: Electronic pop madness. Applesauce will infect your brain.
- Between the Buried and Me Parallax II: Future Sequence: The prog-metal giants rarely disappoint.
- Coheed and Cambria The Afterman: Ascension: One of Coheed’s best, only to be eclipsed shortly after by the follow-up.
- the Chariot One Wing: The Chariot goes out with a bang. It’s metalcore full of passion and musicianship. They will be missed.
- Every Time I Die Ex Lives: Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space is one of the grossest but intriguing music videos I’ve ever seen. Pick up the special edition with bonus tracks, it’s worth it.
- anberlin Vital: The Florida pop rock group is woefully underrated. This album rules.
- Old Man Gloom No: Since Isis’ breakup, I’ve kept my post-metal appetite suppressed with this album. More sludge than ambient.
- The Smashing Pumpkins Oceania: Many fans don’t like the new incarnation of Billy Corgan’s seminal group. Those fans are wrong.
- Converge All We Love We Leave Behind: These guys are the kings of chaotic music.
- further seems forever Penny Black: The return of vocalist Chris Carrabba (Dashboard Confessional) is worth the wait.
- mewithoutYou Ten Stories: A tragically underrated post-punk/folk rock band.
- Vision of Disorder Cursed Remain Cursed: Bloodsimple is/was great, but I was excited for the return of V.O.D.
- Wolves at the Gate Captors: Post-hardcore has become a bit stale as of late, but Wolves at the Gate bring something fresh to the game.
- Children 18:3 On the Run: The pop-punk band has grown up. Very catchy and heartfelt.
There you have it, my favorite records of 2012. Do you agree? Disagree? What did I miss? What doesn’t belong? Let me know in the comments.
More Music on This Site
Top Albums of the Year
Old Music Tuesdays
Click here for my past Old Music Tuesdays posts. There are too many to list!
- Tomahawk (feat. Retox)
- Coheed and Cambria (feat. BTBAM & Russian Circles)
- Black Sabbath (feat. Andrew WK)
- Vampire Weekend (feat. Beirut)
- Fit for a King & For Today
- ††† (Crosses) (feat. Omniflux & Spirit in the Room)
- Soundgarden & NIN 2014
- Dr. Octagon (feat. Avalon, Gap Dream & No Parents)
- Faith No More (feat. The Urinals)
- Mastodon & Clutch (feat. Graveyard)
- Coheed and Cambria (feat. Seahaven)
- The Appleseed Cast (feat. Adjy & Coaster)
- The Smashing Pumpkins & Marilyn Manson
- Danzig (feat. Cancer Bats & Saviours)
- Imagine Dragons (feat. Halsey & Metric)
- Between the Buried and Me & Animals As Leaders (feat. The Contortionist)
- Deftones & Incubus (feat. Death from Above 1979)
- 2015 Summer Rankings
- Blindside (feat. Hearts Like Lions)
- Puscifer (feat. Luchafer)
- The Black Queen (feat. Drab Majesty)
- Joe Satriani
- Coheed and Cambria (feat. Glassjaw, I the Mighty, Silver Snakes)
- Killswitch Engage (feat. Memphis May Fire, 36 Crazyfists, and Toothgrinder)
- Andrew Bird (feat. John Grant)
- Lamb of God (feat. Clutch and Corrosion of Conformity)
- At the Drive-In (feat. Le Butcherettes)
- The Dillinger Escape Plan (feat. Author & Punisher)
- Guns N’ Roses (feat. The Cult)
- Animal Collective (feat. Stuart Copeland)
- Alice in Chains (feat. The New Regime)
- Temple of the Dog (feat. Fantastic Negrito)
Giraffe Tongue Orchestra (cancelled)
- 2016 Concert Rankings
- August Burns Red (feat. Protest the Hero, In Hearts Wake, ’68)
- Norma Jean (feat. He Is Legend, Capsize, Comrades)
- Red (feat. Wolves at the Gate, Message from Sylvia, Death Therapy) (coming in April)
- Mastodon (feat. Eagles of Death Metal, Russian Circles) (coming in May)
- Pixies (coming in May)
- Tool (feat. Clutch, Fantomas, Primus, Melvins, Crystal Method) (coming in July)
- Rise Against (feat. Deftones, Thrice) (coming in July)
Green Day (coming in September)
- Dead Cross (feat. Neil Hamburger, Ho99o9) (coming in October)
- Banks (coming in October)
- Between the Buried and Me (feat. The Contortionist, Poluphia, Toothgrinder) (coming in October)
Mike Patton stuff on this website
- Mike Patton’s Guest Spots
- Faith No More concert review
- Old Music Tuesdays: Faith No More
- Faith No More Stripsearch
- Old Music Tuesdays: Mr. Bungle
- Tomahawk concert review
- Tomahawk Red Fox
Chino Moreno stuff on this website
- Chino’s Harder Guest Spots
- Chino’s Softer Guest Spots
- Chino’s Mainstream Work
- Palms concert
- (†††) Crosses concert
- Old Music Tuesday: (†††) Crosses
- Deftones & Incubus (feat. Death from Above 1979)
Please Support this Blog
Thank you for your time and attention, and thanks for reading! If you’d like to help keep this blog going, please support it! You can help in a couple ways:
First, buy something from my shop! I’ve got mugs, tapestries, canvas, tee shirts, phone cases, pillows, blankets, and much more.
Second, hire me directly! I’m a professional caricaturist/illustrator. I’m currently offering pet illustrations, personalized caricatures of you or a loved one, and celebrity caricatures. Click the links for details and pricing, or just send me a message by using the form below. Basic illustrations start at just $15!
Art for Sale
Become a Guest Blogger
This article was written by a guest blogger. Do you have something you’d like to share with my readers? Contact me to become a guest blogger.