Bernie Sanders is Winning! Wait, This is Familiar
Bernie Sanders tied with Hillary Clinton, the assumed frontrunner (and darling of the establishment), in the Iowa caucus! He probably won, but politics is dirty. Bernie supporters rejoice!
Or, not so fast. Where have we seen this before?
- A longtime member of Congress who was a black sheep in his own party.
- His candidacy was largely grassroots funding from small business and families, not big banks/big business.
- He has a fiercely loyal fanbase, driven by the internet and social media.
- An old man, rejected largely by his own generation, who nonetheless was backed mostly by disillusioned younger voters who don’t like the two major parties.
That’s right, I’m talking about Ron Paul! Now, Dr. Paul and Mr. Sanders couldn’t be more different, ideologically. However, many of the circumstances of their candidacies are eerily the same. The list I provided was just off the top of my head, I’m sure you can think of more. (Put them in the comments!)
Sanders supporters would do well to go back in history just a short 4 years to see what the establishment does to a candidate who represents “the people” and not the big money interests. (Although if Sanders supporters did study history, they’d realize that socialism never ends well. Yes, that includes Sweden.)
I’ve written briefly about the 2012 Paul campaign, here.
While I don’t support Mr. Sanders (here’s why), I am certainly cheering for his campaign. It could be a sign that the evil Democratic Party is losing massive support from the people. That’s a good thing.
My hope is that this election cycle will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the radical left and that they finally realize the state that they love so much is not their friend, just as 2012 proved to the libertarians that the state they loathe is even worse than they figured. Maybe then we can work together on finding non-political solutions to the many catastrophes inflicted upon us by the political ruling establishment. Not gonna hold my breath, though.
A Disclaimer About My Politics
Thanks for reading this post, I hope I challenged you in some way. Agree with me? That’s cool. Disagree? Even better. I’m just a random guy on the internet, voicing his opinion (at the time of writing this blog post – check the date; opinions change as more facts and experience are gathered). But imagine if I had the political power and will to force you to agree with me! That would be terrible, and that’s the point of voluntarism and non-aggression. You should not be forced to agree with me. Please extend me the same courtesy.
“The word ‘politics’ is derived from the word ‘poly’ meaning ‘many’, and the word ‘ticks’ meaning ‘blood sucking parasites’.” -Larry Hardiman
Political Blog Posts
- The Democrats Don’t Deserve Your Vote
- The Republicans Don’t Deserve Your Vote
- The Libertarians Don’t Deserve Your Vote
- Democracy ≠ Freedom
- I Don’t “Feel the Bern.”
- Confessions of a Public Servant
- Leaders vs. Rulers
- Libertarianism is Better Than Progressivism
- Why I Do Not Vote (And Neither Should You)
- The Traffic Court Swindle
- Top Five Reasons I Don’t Argue Politics on Social Media
- Why Meaningful Debate is Impossible
- Dos and Do Nots for the Liberty Minded
- “There ought to be a law…”
- A Defense of Fugitive Slaves
- Conspiracy Theories are Dumb
Please Support this Blog
Thank you for your time and attention, and thanks for reading! If you’d like to help keep this blog going, please support it! You can help in a couple ways:
First, buy something from my shop! I’ve got mugs, tapestries, canvas, tee shirts, phone cases, pillows, blankets, and much more.
Second, hire me directly! I’m a professional caricaturist/illustrator. I’m currently offering pet illustrations, personalized caricatures of you or a loved one, and celebrity caricatures. Click the links for details and pricing, or just send me a message by using the form below. Basic illustrations start at just $15!
Become a Guest Blogger
This article was written by a guest blogger. Do you have something you’d like to share with my readers? Contact me to become a guest blogger.